Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February 9th - Making Valentine's With My Senior Friends


From time to time, mostly around major holidays, I am contracted to teach crafts to local seniors. I really look forward to these visits, and I know they really look forward to seeing me and my kiddos. Today I brought my 8 month old to make Valentines with them. I brought an example card I made and lots of cut out hearts and supplies. I love when I give everyone the same materials how they all make something different. I mean, that is generally what happens but it always amazes me. Sue, the woman who works with them regularly, and whom I work with when I visit, also gave them roses which were donated by the local grocery store. And we made chocolate dipped strawberries, which tasted AMAZING. Strawberry prices have been so high I feel like I have not had them in FOREVER!


Here is my card and the rest are a selection of what these fun women made... I get so inspired by them. I feel it is very valuable to be around our elders and to hear what they have to say. They are so generous with their wisdom and are happy to share. I always leave with memories. Today's include being invited into the apartment of one of the residents, to see her MASSIVE teddy bear collection, and photos of her grand kids. She was packing for a trip to Edmonton to see her gentleman friend for Valentine's Day. So sweet! She gave Emmanuelle a tiny stuffed bear. Also, another resident, Sophia, GAVE me a two vintage cases that are filled with her mother's sewing supplies!! I almost didn't know what to say. She said she could not bear to get rid of them but that knowing I will use them makes her happy! I will do a more indepth post on that soon. I better go, I have some thank you cards I need to write...









3 comments:

FabricFascination said...

I love this, what a sweet time you must have had. And the vintage sewing supplies, what a treat!

kat said...

thanks, I found your blog as I was looking for a soup recipe and then got lost in your writing...well I recently moved away from my mountain town to a lonely,small town in Southern Alberta, I have been thinking about going into one of the 5(!!!) seniors homes here to find someone to knit with (I have NO friends) but am a little chicken/afraid/shy/and lets just face it scared of old people! but that was such a loving post I am doing it!Wish me luck!
And yes I know I will be one of those" old people" too...

Tiffany Teske said...

Yes, Kym, vintage sewing supplies are always a treat :)

Kat, thanks very much for your comment. I am really thrilled that I inspired you. I was afraid of older people for a long time. I was in dance classes as a child and during the holidays we would perform at senior residences and afterward we were supposed to go and talk with them. I was always afraid because some of them would grab me or put me on their laps. Anyway, I see it differently now and I just make sure my kids are comfortable. I am sure with you being an adult you will find that you enjoy your time with them more than you can even expect now. Oh, also, in my town and the next town over there are knitting nights at the local libraries. I am going to be hosting one next month since my friend does it and she is going away. People of all ages attend these groups. Maybe there is one near you? Good luck! And let me know how it goes...