Monday, February 15, 2010

February 15th - Homemade Vegetarian Alphabet Soup


My daughter loves alphabet soup (what kid doesn't?). I usually buy Amy's Organic at $4 a can. Today, I decided to make some. I was inspired the last time I went to the grocery store and saw that they sell the alphabet pasta. I decided to try this recipe from RecipeZaar.



Healthy Alphabet Soup Recipe #112133

A delicious real alphabet soup which is much more nutritionally sound, as well as tastier, than the canned stuff. Recipe from "Stealth Health" Mar/99. In the ingredients, "Dried Italian herb seasoning is just regular dried Italian herb.
by LUv 2 BaKE

2 hours | 20 min prep

SERVES 6

* 1 cup onion, chopped
* 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 3 1/2 cups vegetarian chicken broth or chicken broth
* 3 cups water
* 1 cup dried white bean, rinsed (I used canned beans)
* 1 (398 ml) can tomatoes, cut up
* 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning or dried oregano
* 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
* 1 cup dry alphabet pasta


1. Combine first five ingredients; boil.
2. Add next four ingredients; boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 hours until beans are tender.
3. Using a slotted spoon, remove most of the beans and transfer remaining liquid to a blender; process till smooth.
4. Return mixture and beans back to the pot; Stir in alphabet pasta.
5. Boil then reduce hear; cover and simmer 8 minutes until pasta is tender but firm.
6. Yield: 6 1 1/2 cup servings.


My daughter's initials are QQ....

No comments: