Friday, January 16, 2009

Photo Session & Lining Up Some Exhibitions


Yesterday, I had a mini photo shoot with my friend, Kim, and her husband, Kevin. They are expecting their first child in March. One of my best friends, Jeanne, who lives in Maine, is a marketing consultant for a hospital birthing centre, and every couple years she asks me for some maternity and baby photographs for their brochure. Most of my maternity images are black and white, and generally bare bellied, but this year they specifically asked for color and no skin. That was easy for the baby photos but I needed to shoot a couple images of a headless couple with all their clothes on, with the man behind the woman, both holding the belly, for the pregnancy shot. No problem. Kim and Kevin were happy to oblige and while I offered them a complete photo session as a gift for being willing to be models, they are such kind people they would not accept it. I must admit it did bum me out a bit, because I like them so much, and I love to make photographs. Above is one of the photos I was able to sneak that includes their heads, so I can make them some copies...

I got to see Kim again later in the day when I went to the library to return some books and to talk with her about openings for exhibits at the library in 2009. She takes care of arranging for the artists and having an opening for them, but she will be leaving in late February for mat leave, so I wanted to get in now. In 2008, I had an exhibit in October. This time I chose November. With my own babe on the way, this gives me extra time. I LOVE to have exhibit opportunities lined up, because when life is busy, some times art making is the first thing to go. When I have some pressure, a deadline, an opportunity, I continue to work at making art. I will probably keep the schedule light this year, although I hope to submit to some publications. I am excited for this exhibit. I have something up my sleeve that I hoped to do last year, but then ended up doing the double exposure Polaroid show instead. Stay tuned...

Additionally, I have been asked, for the second year, to take part in the Women's Art Show, at the Banff Library. It takes place in March, because of International Women's Day. This exhibit showcases the work of local women artists. Once piece per artist. It was a great success last year and I hope to talk with more of the local women this year. I am not sure what I will exhibit yet, but will probably make a new piece for it.

No comments: