Tuesday, January 13, 2009

MMMMMMM, Chili!


Chili is a cold weather favorite. A hearty meal that warms and fills, I crave chili this time of year. Being a vegetarian, it is always veggie chili. I don't shy away from recipes that take awhile to make but I found this one online ages ago and love how fast and simple it is. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, partially owing to the fact that it uses vegetable juice as the base. I don't usually like recipes on brand name food packages, since they often want you to cook by opening even more packages, but this recipe came from the vegetarian resource center in Boston and uses healthy ingredients. It says it serves 4, but it is more like 4 small bowl or 3 regular sized, so I often double the recipe. I also put shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream on top.



V8 Vegetarian Chili

* 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 lg onion, chopped
* 1 small green pepper, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 Tbsp chili powder
* 1/2 tsp cumin
* 2-1/2 cups V8 (I actually use R.W. Knudsen's Very Veggie)
* 1 can (16 oz.) black or kidney beans
* 1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans

In saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, green pepper, garlic, chili powder and cumin and cook until onion is tender. Add vegetable juice. Heat to boiling. Cook over low heat 5 minutes. Add beans. Heat through.

No comments: