Thursday, January 8, 2009

Strong Women... And a Daily Quote


A motto is defined as "A short expression of a guiding principle". "Be Brave" is one of my mottos. I try to live this motto each day, by taking on new challenges and facing everything, even those things that are less than fun, or that can be downright scary. I try to teach my daughter this motto both by example and by helping her to face things she finds scary. So far it hasn't worked with the vaccuum, but she is after all, only 2 1/2 years old, and I am quite confident she will not carry a life long fear of the vaccuum. You never know though, I seem to be afraid of cleaning at times... Anyway, I am drawn to strong women as friends, and I am fascinated by the biographies of strong women in history. Have you ever seen that bumper sticker that says "Polite women don't make history". I love that, and while I do want my daughter to be polite when necessary I plan to teach her the sentiment behind this phrase.

All this to say I was drawn to a very interesting 2009 engagement calendar called "Women Who Dare", a Library of Congress calendar put out by Pomegranate Press. I snapped it up and have been enjoying it every since. It is my goal to feature a Daring Woman once a week on this blog. How about on Thursdays, since today is Thursday. It's settled! Some of the women will be familiar to you, and I hope some of them won't. I will leave you with a quote from Louisa May Alcott, which opens the calendar...

"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not be able to reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead."

No comments: