Saturday, January 3, 2009

No More Teflon


I recently blogged about Ten Toxins here. At the top of the list is Teflon pans, something I have known for a long time but have not had a chance to tackle in our household until recently. Today, I bought a new pan at a local department store. I had seen it online and was curious, and was surprised to see it in this very mainstream chain store. It is a GreenPan. It is made of Black Forged Aluminium which is "designed for high performance and convenience". I think this is meant for people like me who can't quite get the hang of healthy but less-than-non-stick cast iron (I will be blogging about my cast iron pan soon...). While I like cast iron, and I plan to buy more in different sizes, I wanted to give this pan a shot. The store only carried the 8" pan, for some strange reason, but I did need to replace my 8" Teflon pan so I went for it. The normal selling price was $39.99 (Canadian) and it rang up $29.99, which is a decent sale price. The pan is made from a Thermolon non-stick coating which is free of PTFE, (Polytetrafluoroethylene,the chemical name for Teflon trademarked material) is heat resistent to 450C/850F (sheesh, that's mighty hot!!), and it doesn't release toxic fumes like Teflon can. It is manufactured PFOA-free (perfluorooctanoic acid which is in Teflon). The Thermolon coating is not supposed to break down over time or wear out over time.

I am excited to use my new pan, and will be sure to pass along my findings once I do. If all goes well, I may buy one more 12" one, to replace my current crepe making pan...

No comments: