Sunday, January 4, 2009

An Anniversary of Sorts...


One year ago today, my then one and a half year old daughter and I left our home in the frozen north and headed for San Miguel de Allende in central Mexico. I had made the commitment about one year before that to teach a digital photography class in this amazingly beautiful place. My friend, and fellow artist, Crystal Beshara, a painter who had taught there once before, was my inspiration, and she and I rented an amazing house from which to teach our set of classes. I am talking one of those crazy breath taking homes you so on TV reality shows. It was lovely with fire places in each room, a gorgeous view of the city, and a cook and housekeeper. The travels TO Mexico rank up there with some of my most horrific travels, not because of my daughter, she was an truly an angel, and at that point it was her 5th series of plane trips (she is now 2 1/2 and has been on 8 plane trips), but because of the horrible airlines. It took us 30 hours to get from the airport to the rented house, and it involved knowing from my first flight that we would be missing the connection, after hours of waiting getting a new connection which got up in the air flew about 30 minutes, then had to turn around and head back to the airport, then arriving in Mexico City, the largest city in the world, at 3 AM, with a baby, and not having a place to stay... maybe I will write out the whole story sometime but I don't have the energy to do it now, or to rehash the letter I sent to the airlines. But I will just say here that kids are remarkably good travelers when they are well fed, rested, and entertained. And when you keep your cool and act like everything you are doing is normal. They could care less about missed connections, delays, and details. Quin was so so wonderful. As was this trip. If you know nothing about San Miguel de Allende, and if you like to travel, you need to check into going there. It is a place that is populated by artists, and is easy to navigate if you don't speak Spanish, since there are many Western ex-pats. Guanajuato is a nearby day trip, equally as colorful and interesting. I really do need to write a travel article about it... anyway, I spent time with old friends (Crystal and her family, as well as my very good friend, Karina), made new friends (my students, including Tawna from Yellowknife who I am determined to go and visit), spent time exploring with my daughter, and made some amazing images, which until now, I have never even uploaded. That's life, eh? SO, on this anniversary, I was determined to sit down and make a slide show with just a few of the thousand plus images I made. I stuck with the colorful. The slideshow is running somewhere under the poll, and can be clicked on to enlarge. I hope you enjoy... I hope to bring my husband to SMA someday, the poor guy had to stay and work in the frozen north :(

No comments: