Monday, November 24, 2008

The Wildlife in My Backyard...


I am blessed to live in the Canadian Rockies, the tourist mecca of Banff, to be exact. Thanks to my husband's career in the ski industry, we moved here back in December of 2006. I am always talking about how beautiful and awe inspiring the views are here. I thought it was about time I showed some photos of the animals we encounter everyday. Literally, this elk was laying in the sun in my backyard. I was happy there was a fence between him and I. However, there is often nothing between me and the animals. It can actually be a bit scary, to be walking up the street and to turn the corner right into a deer and her fawn, or a big daddy elk, or a big ram. There are grizzly bears on the mountain where Andre works, but thankfully they should all be down for a long nap right now. Not early enough for a friend of ours, who works with Andre, who almost walked smack dab into on a couple of weeks ago. Nothing like a little protein for a bear before his winter nap. We are grateful our friend is ok, but even in a place where people do get eaten by bears, I was surprised at how shaken up this mountain guide was. I would have been a wreck! Keep an eye out...

No comments: