Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Visit and Ginger Pear Upside Down Cake


I haven't posted much this week. My father and little sister came to visit us from Minneapolis. They come to see us twice a year and we go to see them once at year. It is always so much fun to have them all to ourselves, where as when we go to Minneapolis we have to spread ourselves out amongst all of our friends and family. Dad and Tillie never stay long enough. Usually only three days. My dad has this quote, well actually he stole it from Benjamin Franklin, "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days". While this may apply to some, it doesn't apply to my Dad and Tillie. But, Dad, a dentist, is not yet retired and Tillie, who is only 10, is still in school, so that may have something to do with it. More on there visit in the next post, but on to the cake...


I bought a box of BC bartlett pears at the local grocery store for $2.89 or some such ridiculously low price!! While they were not quite ripe, I knew that as soon as they were I better come up with a plan. Even with my famiy eating 3 a day, that was not going to put a dent in this 7 liter box. I put out a call for pear recipes to my pals from the now defunct Create A Day blog (which is up and running as EveryDayCreate on Wordpress, more on this soon...). The same day Craft put out an awesome pear recipe in their daily news letter. I don't always open these on the same day they arrive, although I do always open them, because I LOVE them! So, thanks to Joonie, for pointing out the recipe....


The day my Dad and Tillie arrived, which was also the day of my grandmother's 87th birthday, Quin and I made this cake. It was then enjoyed for three nights in a row. It is AMAZING and I will make it again and again. I used up 7 pears, and got to eat cake shop quality cake for three days. Yum yum! Thanks to Craft and Seattlest for the recipe.

No comments: