Friday, November 21, 2008

Special Tea for My Blossoming Belly


I made my own mix of tea yesterday. Raspberry leaf tea is recommended for pregnancy and I was given a recipe for one by my wonderful naturopath, Dr. Samantha Frey, of the Banff Naturopathic Medical Clinic. If you are looking for a naturopath in Banff, you should go to her. If you would like to know more about naturopathic medicine here is more info. Raspberry leaf is a uterine tonic and most of the other ingredients are rich in minerals.




I went to my local health food store to pick up the organic dried herbs I needed. There are several commercial raspberry leaf teas on the market but I wanted to try my hand at mixing my own. Nothing can be simpler than making tea. No cooking involved. You just get the ingredients and mix them together in equal amounts. I poured them all in a stainless steel bowl and mixed with clean hands. I love to do things with my hands when possible, instead of with a spoon. It makes me feel more connected. In the end for about $8 I was able to mix enough tea to overfill a medium sized canister, I believe it is about 110 grams of tea.
The ingredients are:
Raspberry Leaf
Nettles
Oats
Red Clover
Peppermint (some people add this on a cup by cup basis but I love mint tea)
Rosehips (these can be added if you want an immune boost, since they are high in Vitamin C)

Use 1 teaspoon per cup of water. The tea should be steeped for 15-20 minutes minimum, but can be steeped overnight for maximum mineral extraction. This is what I did, because I like strong tea and want to get the maximum benefits of it.

It is recommended by Dr. Frey that pregnant women start to drink this after 16 weeks. I am not sure why, since I have seen it recommended earlier. I am 13 weeks. I tried it, to make sure it is good, but will hold off on drinking it daily for a few more weeks.

No comments: