Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!


Well, I turned 35 today, at 2:33 PM. I am a bit shocked. I guess not as shocked as my mom is to have a 35 year old daughter, or as my grandmother must be to have a 60 something year old daughter. My grandmother turned 87 on November 6th. Amazing. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter, and I have no idea where the time went... and next June we will have a new little one who will grow and change just as quickly. Someone slow down this ride, it feels like only yesterday that I was riding on a merry go round for the first time...

I have learned many things in 35 years. I would be hesitant to try to list them all here. I guess I will go with the simple thoughts and ideals that I try to live by each day, since they are second nature. Truly simple.

1) Try to enjoy everything you do.
2) If you don't enjoy everything you do, change your life so you do.
3) Do what you love for a job, that way it is a passion and a true extension of yourself, not really a job.
4) Live artfully.
5) Be nice.
6) Treat others as you would like to be treated.
7) Respect others differences, if we were all the same, life would be boring.
8) you are not perfect, get over it. Life is more fun when the pressure is off.
9) Be brave.
10) Just do it.
11) Take chances and do things that scare you. They push your boundaries and often the things you were afraid to do end up being very important experiences for growth in the end.
12) Be curious.
13) Be passionate.
14) Be generous.
15) Collaborate with others, rather than hording all your best ideas. It is amazing how your great ideas can become even greater when you share them and combine then with others.
16) Smile at people.
17) Know when to stop being nice and to stand up for what you believe in. Polite women don't make history. Don't let people walk on you. The more you let them, the more they will, but the more you stand up for yourself, the more you will.
18) Never grow old. You are only as old as you feel. I know many people who show me this everyday.
19) Be an example to your children. They are watching your every move, and they will emulate both the best and the worst of your behavior.
20) Be thankful for each and every minute spent with those who you love. Time is short. You never know what will happen, but if you enjoy each moment, you will not have regrets.
21) Don't have regrets.
22) Feel confident about where you are. Don't wait until you are somewhere else. You know that saying, "Bloom where you are planted"? Make steps to get where you want to be, but don't let not being in the right place at the right time get in your way. I truly feel that in a larger sense I have always been at the right place at the right time in my life.
23) If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
24) Be the change you want to see in the world. Thanks, Ghandi.

I hope this is not all too cliche but I truly believe in all of the above. I spent an awesome birthday, as usual! I LOVE my birthday. What can be better than phone calls from my friends and family, emails, cards... Indian take out for dinner with my family... being alive!!

No comments: