Saturday, March 21, 2009
Recipe - Pesto Portobellos
Image by Tiffany Teske
Yum, yum, yum, that is all I can say. Make some for yourself and see... Recipe from Vegetarian Times.
Makes 8 dinner servings, 32 appetizers
* 8 large portobello caps, about 6 inches round
* 2 Tbs. olive oil
* Salt to taste
* 2/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
* 2/3 cup prepared basil pesto
* 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest from 2 large lemons
* 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
* 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, optional
* 1/3 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
* Chopped parsley or mint for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Line two shallow roasting pans or baking sheets with aluminum foil.
2. Gently wipe mushroom caps with damp towel. Use paring knife to pry out any bits of stems; chop stems finely.
3. Lightly brush tops of caps with oil. Set caps, gill sides up, in prepared pans. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
4. Combine chopped stems, breadcrumbs, pesto, lemon zest, vinegar and hazelnuts, if using. Spoon about 2 rounded tablespoons of topping into each mushroom.
5. Roast mushrooms on top rack 5 minutes. Switch to bottom rack. Continue roasting until tender, 10 to 15 minutes total. Sprinkle grated cheese liberally on each mushroom, and garnish with parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per SERVING: Calories: 230, Protein: 6g, Total fat: 17g, Saturated fat: 3g, Carbs: 11g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Sodium: 500mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 2g