Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Husband's New Favorite... Homemade Granola Bars


... actually, they have been tested by a total of 8 men on two skiing adventures, so I guess they are pretty good energy bars... Thanks, Martha!

No-Bake Cashew Brittle Bars

Ingredients

Serves 4

* 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
* 1 cup (about 5 ounces) salted cashews (I actually use salted mixed nuts)
* 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) unsalted butter (You could use margarine to make them vegan)
* 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 3 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
* 1 tablespoon molasses
* 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

Directions

1. Line a 4 1/2-by-9-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 1-inch overhang on each long side. Toast oats and cashews in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until aromatic and just starting to turn golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
2. Add butter, sugar, cinnamon, honey or syrup, molasses, and salt in the skillet, and cook over medium heat, stirring, until butter melts and mixture bubbles, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour hot mixture over oats and cashews, and stir to combine.
3. Transfer mixture to loaf pan. Using a spatula, press mixture into an even layer. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. Remove chilled mixture from pan using plastic, discard plastic, and cut into 1-inch thick bars.

4 comments:

Stacy's Designs 88 said...

OMG, I just love oatmeal and energy bars! I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing! :)

Danielle said...

Oh man I love your blog! I'm so glad you commented on mine so I could find yours!
This recipe looks great as well. Perfect for a snack to bring to class.
You can for sure link my site's recipe! I would love that!

angela said...

i used agave instead of corn syrup. it probably made it extra good :-)

Tiffany Teske said...

Hi everyone! You will love them, I promise. Ang, good idea with the agave, I plan to do this in the future, as I really am not a fan of corn syrup. Thanks, Danielle, so glad you found me, thanks for your comment, I am excited to revisit your blog and will link to your site in my post about your cookies...