Sunday, March 29, 2009
My Husband's New Favorite... Homemade Granola Bars
... actually, they have been tested by a total of 8 men on two skiing adventures, so I guess they are pretty good energy bars... Thanks, Martha!
No-Bake Cashew Brittle Bars
* 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
* 1 cup (about 5 ounces) salted cashews (I actually use salted mixed nuts)
* 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) unsalted butter (You could use margarine to make them vegan)
* 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 3 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
* 1 tablespoon molasses
* 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1. Line a 4 1/2-by-9-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 1-inch overhang on each long side. Toast oats and cashews in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until aromatic and just starting to turn golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
2. Add butter, sugar, cinnamon, honey or syrup, molasses, and salt in the skillet, and cook over medium heat, stirring, until butter melts and mixture bubbles, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour hot mixture over oats and cashews, and stir to combine.
3. Transfer mixture to loaf pan. Using a spatula, press mixture into an even layer. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. Remove chilled mixture from pan using plastic, discard plastic, and cut into 1-inch thick bars.