Tuesday, January 4, 2011
365 Days With Kiddos - #22 - Make Plans for 2011
This is the first year my eldest daughter, who is 4 and a half, was aware of New Year's. It was a fun holiday season filled with many questions about the holidays and why certain things are done. After ushering in the New Year by visiting friends on New Year's Day we sat down and talked a bit about what it means for the old year to end and a new year to begin. I explained that how some people like to see a new year coming because they can reflect on the old year and make changes and plans for the new year. I am a goal oriented person and I like the clean slate feel of a new year. I don't make resolutions in the traditional sense but I do like to think about what I would like to accomplish in the new year and if there are some changes that I feel need to be made, that come up during my thinking, then I strive to make those changes. Quin and I decided to write down a few of the things we would like to do our best to accomplish in the coming year.
1. I will make a rainbow picture and give it to one of my friends.
2. I would like to go to Vancouver.
3. I will try not cry about little things but to talk about them.
4. I would like to give one of my Berenstain bear book to someone.
5. I would like to give a coloring book to a friend.
1. I am going to do my best to show my girls how to love being here on earth (I will do this all the time, not just in 2011).
2. I will to work on a book project with a friend.
3. I will deal with frustration better.
4. I will make a new series of art (since I have shows coming up in February and June).
5. I will send extra money and letters to the child I sponsor in Haiti.
Together Quin & I decided...
1. We will go outside everyday (we don't always do this in the winter but should).
2. We will collect pennies for the charity Pennies for Peace.
I think that this is a worthwhile activity that can be suited to a child of any age that can talk and express themselves. There are no wrong answers. There is also no penalty for not reaching the goal or accomplishing the task. The point is to put the intention out there and to then support each other in working on these things. What do you want to do in 2011?