Thursday, September 16, 2010

365 Days With Kiddos - #5 - Write a Letter and MAIL It

In the digital age, how often do you sit down to write a letter to someone via snail mail? I have a couple of friends who take the time to write me an occasional letter, but my grandmother writes to me a couple of times a week. We all know how much fun it is to open the mailbox and find a letter from someone we love. We toss aside the bills and junk mail to rip open the letter and to devour what it says. It seems to me that our kids are going to be a lot less likely to write and mail letters. Since I love all things paper, and all things heartfelt, sentimental, and handwritten, I find that to be a shame. So, I try to have my daughter "write" to my grandmother once a week, to learn about letter writing in a fun way. She is only 4 but she "writes" on postcards with gel pens, paints with watercolor, and makes cards out of her tempera paintings from her easel. My grandmother proudly displays these letters in her home, and shows them to her visitors. I like to think of my grandmother, who is almost 90, walking to the mail room in her building, putting her key in the lock, and opening the little mailbox door to find a brighly colored little treasure in her box. At 89 she is still thrilled to get a letter. After all, it means someone who loves you is not only thinking about you but they took the time, in our busy world, to let you know. That is important, and priceless. Don't you love the simple things in life? Why not sit down with your child and write a letter to someone you love. Then address is, go to the post office and buy some pretty stamps, and put it in the big mailbox. I assure you it will be worth the time and effort, and the person you write to may even write back...

Ideas for letter writing...
1) Pick up stationary, blank cards, and post cards for a steal at yard sales and thrift stores.
2) Make some cards...
3) If you child gets really into letter writing, or if you get back into it, why not splurge on some amazing cards, like the ones at made by orsis on Etsy.
4) If you like vintage stationary and you don't get your fill from tag sales, you can search Etsy, where I found these fun retro mushroom fold-a-notes.
5) Go to the library and check out the charming little book The Long, Long Letter by Elizabeth Spurr. For more mail, post, and letter related books check out this link for an extensive list.

As always, I welcome your ideas and comments...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a lovely blogpost. I sure miss my grandmothers letters- they are one of my most cherished possesions. In my hometown I started a 'Snail Mail Society'. We have a collection of funky analog typewriters for people to make every day a great mail day!

Tiffany Teske said...

Hi Claire :) Thank you for your comment. I have kept every letter that my grandmother ever wrote to me. I am not sure what I will do with them, for now they are in various boxes and I guess I should get them all into one place. Where is your hometown? There was someone who created a snail mail society here in Banff, at the local library. I always wanted to go and use the typewriters but never did. Now, they don't seem to do it anymore... what a great idea!