Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Our Favorite Handmade Christmas Gifts

It is always nice when someone remembers you during the holidays. It is extra special when someone makes you something, whether it be food for nourishment, a clothing item to keep you warm, or a toy to feed your imagination. We were lucky to received many handmade items this year...


Handknit Gloves
I have no idea when Aunt Julie took up knitting, or if it is something she used to do and started to do again, but I am sooooooooo impressed! I have written here before that I leave knitting to the experts. These are beautifully made and one of our favorite color palettes. Thanks, Aunt Julie!


Coconut Bites
I have a weakness for coconut cake and these little bites are amazing! I have asked for the recipe, as we ate them all in a couple of days. Thanks, Annie!


Felt Baked Goods and Handmade Apron
I got these for Quin from a friend who makes them. Quin loves both the real kitchen and her play kitchen. I am completely enamored with felt food and plan to start making it. These are so well done and we have already had a birthday party and a dinner party where they took center stage. We will get a lot of use out of these. If you want to know more, please go to Anna Laura's Etsy shop. As you can see from the photo below they came in real baking dishes and were eco-wrapped in reusable tulle. The goodies will go well with my favorite gift that Quin received, a handmade apron. I could tell right when Quin opened it that someone had made it. Then, I found the business card in the pocket. I can't take my eyes off of it, it is so pretty hanging in our kitchen. If you are interested the only contact info I have for the woman is an email address. Leave a comment and I will get it to you... Thank you, Grampa Wally, Aunt Tillie, & Gramma Kiki!




Pendant Made from Poppa's Tie Tack
This is the most thoughtful and surprising gift I received. My mother's father, the only grandfather I ever knew, passed away in August. When we were in Minneapolis for the funeral, I did take some of the items in my grandfather's jewelry box, but have yet to decide what to do with them. My Aunt Jackie took one of his tie tacks and had it made into a pendant for me! It is very thoughtful and came with a touching handwritten note. I will keep this Tiger Eye pendant close to my heart, as she suggested, and the note will live with the pendant, and it will all be handed down to my girls. Thank you so much, Auntie!




Glass Tile Pendant Featuring Original Art
My friend and fellow artist, Serena, made both this pendant and the art work on it. It was a pleasant surprise in her very adorable Christmas card. I love art you can wear. If you like this, see her Etsy shop, HeavensEarth.


Eco Friendly Recycled Notebooks
My Secret Santa, a fellow team member on the Alberta Team for Etsy, sent me these wonderful notebooks. It was perfect timing as I need to make some goals for next year and I prefer writing on paper to typing on my computer. They are available from Lisa Smithson here. I am starting to feel like an advertisement, but I think it is pretty cool that I know so many people who sell their great work and I like to pass that info on. As a professional artist I know that word of mouth is a wonderful thing.


Cookies for Santa and His Reindeer
We gave mostly handmade gifts this year, but one of my favorite is the cookie plate and note that Quin put out for Santa. We kind of down play the whole Santa thing, with one visit to see him, and then mostly talking about him on Christmas Eve. Quin is three and a half and she is pretty balanced as far as knowing the holidays are for family and that we do get some gifts from Santa. She was so excited this year! It made my heart swell when she wanted to give something to Santa. And it was adorable on Christmas morning to hear her coming down the stairs behind me asking "Do you think Santa took all the cookies to share with his reindeer and Mrs. Claus?"

No comments: