Monday, December 28, 2009

Book Recommendation - Christmas Cookies Bite Sized Holiday Lessons



I have decided I might as well post about the holidays until the new year. I guess most people would have done it all during the lead up to the holidays, but I am one of those people who doesn't really think about the holidays until the week before, then I cram all the fun into that week and on into the new year. Maybe that is why I haven't even received the Christmas cards I ordered to send out to people yet... I don't really get hung up on all of that, and I think it bothers some of the more organized people I know. But, I feel the only people I am accountable to are my hubby and kiddos, and well, they actually end up having more holiday fun because we are not stressed. We hang the lights, put up the tree, bake cookies, decorate with things we have made, read holiday books, have a little holiday photo shoot for our cards, go see Santa, hang with friends, do a little shopping, play in the snow, gather items for Santa's Anonymous, invite friends over for meals, go to holiday parties, connect with loved ones via cards, email, & phone, sit by the fire, cuddle... there are so many important things to fill our time.

One of our favorite holiday books, one of the only ones I keep on the book shelf all year round, is Christmas Cookies Bites-Size Holiday Lessons by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Illustrated by Jane Dyer. It is a charming book that includes small children and their live animal friends making and sharing cookies. Each page teaches the definition of a word, by using an example based on baking the cookies. For example, " Aniticipation means, I've been thinking all day about making the cookies. I'm so excited. I can't wait." or "Responsible means, you asked me to put away the cookie cutters, and you can count on me to do it." My aunt bought Quin this book and we all enjoy it. The last page even has a Christmas sugar cookie recipe. A beautiful book that teaches children the joys of sharing the holidays with others. Check it out at the library or buy your own copy to enjoy and pass along someday.

4 comments:

FabricFascination said...

That is pretty much how we handle the holidays around here as well. I can't get caught up in all the hoopla. Keep it simple, and it is more fun.

You made me laugh about your cards which haven't been arrived yet. Will you still send them out?

Tiffany Teske said...

I think it is so much more fun that way, Kym! And I know that I know a lof of creative people who like it better that way.

In fairness, I need to clarify about the cards. I ordered them from Shutterfly on Dec 11th. They said they would arrive between Dec 17th and the 23rd. When they shipped them the very next day, instead of the 3-4 day turn around, I thought I would get them by the 17th. Well, we are in Canada, there are customs, who knows what happened, but they didn't arrive by the 23rd. They will probably be there today. I USUALLY don't even try to get the cards out by Christmas. I usually send New Year's cards that I hand write a note on. Last year I sent those to close friends and family, and a email letter with photos to more distant family and friends. So, I WILL send out my 25 photo cards when they arrive, and probably an email letter with photos. Ring in the New Year's with a little correspondence... LOL!

Serena said...

We're pretty laid back when it comes to the holidays too! in fact, I didnt even start my closest friend/Sebastian's godmothers painting until a couple days before we had plans with them on the 24th! its all good and always works out :)

I have to admit that im pretty anti-Christmas card here, only a select few people get one from us.. usually handmade or at least hand-computer made ♥ Hope your cards arrived today!

Tiffany Teske said...

Awww, Serena, that means we are one of the select few! And so are you on our list :) I do feel the need to send them to family but mostly go the email route...