Thursday, December 31, 2009

Blue Moon on New Year's Eve Plus a Homemade Crouton Recipe


Blue Moon Over Gettysburg
Image by Mythicart on Etsy

Be sure to look up tonight so you don't miss the blue moon. It won't actually be blue in color, a blue moon is when a full moon occurs twice in one month. The next time New Year's Eve will fall on a Blue Moon will be in 2028!


We are off to a potluck dinner in our neighborhood this evening. I am bringing a caesar salad with homemade croutons. Here is how I made them...

Homemade Croutons
3 cups of whole grain bread; can be day old (I used half of a baguette that was two days old)
1/4 butter
1/4 olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed

Cut up your bread into 1/2 to 1 inch cubes. I let mine sit out a bit and get even drier. Melt the butter and oil, along with the crushed garlic clove, in a medium skillet (I use cast iron), on medium heat, until it is frothy. Pour over the bread in a bowl and toss. Return to the pan and toast the bread, tossing from time to time, to get all the sides. Let cool and toss into your salad. These should be used right away, but they did keep long enough for me to make them, walk to the pot luck, and wait for dinner to be ready (about 2 hours). I removed the cover from the dish I brought the in during that time so they would not get soggy. The salad fed about 8 adults and some kiddos. You can double the recipe if you want even more crunch. Yum!

No comments: