Friday, August 22, 2008

Come on Discover Card....

So today I was home editing photo files and I had the TV on, which may have been a mistake in itself. It takes a lot for me to pay attention to commercials, but when they play over and over, I eventually clue in. Discover Card (which I should clarify for fellow Canadians is a credit card, like Visa or Mastercard, in the states, I used to have one...) is running a truly laughable add. I had to see it a few times to really get how pathetic it is. I may not have this word for word but the sentiment comes through the same:

"We are a nation of consumers, and there is nothing wrong with that. The trouble is, there is just too much cool stuff, and we get a little carried away. If only all credit cards companies were like Discover Card. What if they actually helped you spend smarter? Maybe then we could have a better quality of life and be in a better financial position to enjoy it."

Wouldn't that be great?!

Come on!! Are you kidding me? Are people really so stupid to believe this? That they need more stuff? That there is nothing wrong with be a thing driven culture? That is it out of our control and we have no power to stop it because "there is just too much cool stuff"?! It is so patronizing, I can almost feel them patting me on the head... "poor, Tiffany, I know you can't stop yourself from spending, it's ok, just get a Discover Card, and everything will be ok...". It doesn't even tell you in the commercial why you are being financially responsible by choosing Discover. I would image it has something to do with a lower interest rate and the fact that they give you 1% of your purchases back in cash. Hmmmm, in order to get a lot of money back you need to spend a lot. Sheesh. Am I the only person who gets worked up about this stuff? Truly, when I bring this sort of thing up to most people they look at me like I am crazy. Is all of North America in denial?

No comments: