Saturday, October 2, 2010

Weekly Recipe - My Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili


This recipe came about like many do; I saw it in a cookbook but then because I didn't like certain ingredients or methods, I totally revamped it to make it my own. There was a time I would not have had the confidence to do this. Thanks to time and practice, I am getting better at "winging" it. When my aunt cooks she is amazing. The last time she was at my house she made the most delicious pistachio crusted fish with a moroccan flair and I can't replicate it because it was truly a little of this and a little of that. Being in her kitchen and having her in mine makes for the best memories. And when I marvel at the fact that I may never be able to cook "like that", she smiles and tells me to give it another 40 years or so...

The thing I disliked the most like in the recipe that originally inspired me, was something about making a slurry with cornstarch. Yuck. I have made several chilis without needing a thickener so I decided to omit it. If you are used to thickening chili, trust me, you don't need to in this recipe.


PS If you own a Slap Chop (or a Zyliss version like we have) I would get it out. There is a great deal of chopping in this recipe. I love to chop by hand and I am too lazy to clean the chopper, but trust me, it will be worth cleaning it up.

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
By Tiffany Teske

Ingredients

I use organic wherever possible. This makes 8-10 bowls. It keeps well in the fridge for several days and would freeze well.

- 1 T grapeseed oil (you can substitute vegetable oil)
- 1.5 medium or 1 large yellow onion(s), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1.5 t cumin
- 1 T Mexican chili powder
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 c vegetable broth
- 2 19 oz cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 28 oz can plain diced tomatoes
- 1 t Vege Sal Seasoned Salt (or other seasoned salt)
- 1/2 t ground black peper
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 c frozen corn
- 2 bay leaves
- Optional - feta & cilantro for garnish

Directions


Heat the oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add the diced onion and saute for 5 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and saute another minute. Add the cumin and chili powder and saute 2 minutes.

On medium-low heat, stir in the crushed tomatoes and broth. Add the remaining ingredients except the toppings. Bring chili to a boil for 2 minutes and then reduce heat to low. Simmer over low heat uncovered for one hour, then simmer covered with a lid for 30 more minutes.

Serve with your choice of toppings.

4 comments:

Serena said...

Looks yummy Tiffany! but what is 'Vege Sal'?

Tiffany Teske said...

Hi Serena! It is vegetized seasoned salt that you can find at most health food grocers. I am sure that any sort of seasoned salt will do, althought many of them contain MSG. Do try this with the feta and cilantro, it is sooooo good!

Serena said...

We get our seasoning salt from http://www.mountainroseherbs.com its unlike any seasoning salt ive ever tried.. kinda sounds like what you described!
I wish all the cilantro wasn't done in the garden already :(

Serena said...

ps.. do you use Braggs liquid aminos? ive been thinking about getting them but I seem to find mixed reviews online (some ppl saying it isnt necessary)