Thursday, October 28, 2010

Holiday Fun - Some Halloween Eats - Devilish Deviled Eggs

I LOVE deviled eggs. I don't make them often because I can eat them... ALL! I recently was looking through one of my favorite vintage cookbooks for kids, The Better Homes Junior Cookbook, from the early 70s. The cover and inside images, along with step by step illustrations are delightful. Some of the recipes leave a bit to be desired (think spam and molded gelatin). Others are a cheery trip back to my childhood. I got a serious craving when I saw their recipe for stuffed eggs. Apparently in the 70s, these eggs were not yet devilish...


Today was the first moment I had to finally make some. And since Halloween is just around the corner I decided that not only would we make some deviled eggs but we would make them a little devilish. My four year daughter helped me with each and every step.

Devilish Deviled Eggs
Inspired by Better Homes & Gardens Junior Cookbook
Recipe and devilish decoration adapted by Tiffany Teske

Ingredients

~ 6 Free range eggs
~ 2 Tablespoons olive oil mayonnaise
~ 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
~ 1 teaspoon white vinegar
~ 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
~ 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
~ Hungarian paprika to sprinkle on top
~ Sliced canned black olives and fresh red pepper for garnish

Directions

1. Place eggs in saucepan water to cover. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.


2. Place eggs in a bowl of cold water to cool. You may need to change the water a couple of times. Using a spoon, crack the eggs shell of each egg and remove. Cut the eggs in half. Scoop or pop out the cooked yolks into a bowl. Put the white aside for the moment. Mash the yolks together.



3. Add the mayo, mustard, vinegar, salt, & pepper. Mix well. Spoon the yolk mixture back into the egg whites. Sprinkle paprika on top.


4. To make your eggs devilish, use sliced black olives and red pepper slices.


My lil' devil eating some of her handiwork!


PS If you are looking for a variation on the theme, why not make deviled egg ghosts?

No comments: