Monday, September 7, 2009

Handmade in Red Deer Alberta - The Prairie Chick


Polaroid Transfer Prints by Tiffany Teske; available at The Prairie Chick in Red Deer, Alberta

I am back from a crazy road trip to Minneapolis for the funeral of my beloved grandfather, Poppa. There were many wonderful things that happened amongst the sadness of the trip. I will be posting about that this week but had wanted to write the following post just before we left so I decided to do it first thing upon our return...


Polaroid Transfer Image Magnet Sets by Tiffany Teske; available at The Prairie Chick in Red Deer, Alberta

I love being part of Etsy, the amazing online community where artists, crafters, and artisans come together to sell their work. While it is fun to be able to sell my photography and art online, it is even more fun when non-Etsy opportunities come my way because of my Etsy shop. When I open my email and see I have a convo (like an email) via Etsy, I am always intrigued. Some are people telling me they have put me into a treasury, which is like an online favorites list complete with images and links to the items. Other are people asking questions about my work. And often, it is someone asking me to take part in an exhibit, interview, blog feature, or a print publication. One example of this is the day that Colette Bleakley contacted me to purchase some of my work for her new shop, The Prairie Chick, located in Red Deer, Alberta.


The Prairie Chick in Red Deer, Alberta
Image by Colette Bleakley

Colette, bless her heart, was looking for artists and artisans in Alberta because she wants her shop to carry locally made items. We started communicating, and I made some items for her in packaging I have not made for other outlets. It was a nice challenge to come up with and implement some new ideas. Since Colette (isn't that a beautiful name?) was gracious enough to put my work in her shop, I decided that I would like to write a blog feature on her and her shop. The following is an interview with her, some images from her shop, as well as images of my work that she is selling at The Prarie Chick.


Polaroid Transfer Prints by Tiffany Teske; available at The Prairie Chick in Red Deer, Alberta

TT: What made you want to open this shop?
CB: I have always wanted to have my own boutique. I studied environmental science and have been working in that field for the past 6 years. I was looking for a change and a way to use my creative streak!



TT: What made you want to represent Alberta artists?

CB: I am a strong believer in shopping local. I noticed that it was hard to find locally made gift items and it was time to open a store that focused on Handmade in Alberta and Canada items.

TT: What kind of items are available in your shop?

CB: Clothing, Accessories, Handbags, Wallets
Bath and Body Products
Jewelry
House wares
Vintage Items
Photography and Stationary
Pottery


Bamboo Pendants featuring Piddix Collage Images made by Tiffany Teske; available at The Prairie Chick in Red Deer, Alberta

TT: What has surprised you the most in your journey so far?
CB: I have been amazed by the vast amount and variety of talented artists right here in Alberta.

TT: Are you originally from Red Deer?

CB: I am originally from a small farming community in Saskatchewan. I now live on a farm near Rocky Mountain House, Alberta.


Bamboo Pendants featuring Piddix Collage Images made by Tiffany Teske; available at The Prairie Chick in Red Deer, Alberta

TT: Are you an artist or craft person?

CB: I don’t consider myself an artist or crafts-person. However I do enjoy photography as a hobby.

TT: What do you plan to add to the shop in the future?

CB: I am constantly looking for new items and vendors. Check back often for new arrivals!

TT: Chocolate or vanilla?

CB: Both

TT: What inspires you?
CB: My Mom and Grandmothers were my inspiration for the boutique. They are all talented, hardworking, creative, strong women.


TT: Would you like to include anything else?
CB: http://theprairiechickboutique.blogspot.com

The Prairie Chick
5018 Ross St., Lower Level (Can-West Travel Company Bldg.)
Red Deer, Alberta
T4N 1Y3
403-348-2800
HOURS: Tues-Sat 10:00am-5:00pm


The Prairie Chick Boutique in Red Deer, Alberta

If you are in Red Deer, Alberta, stop by The Prairie Chick and say hello to Colette!


Polaroid Transfer Image Bamboo Necklaces by Tiffany Teske; available at The Prairie Chick in Red Deer, Alberta

No comments: