Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cooking With Love for a New Arrival - My Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe


On Friday, my children were absolute angels while I cooked up a storm for close to 5 hours. Aside from nursing, we spent our time measuring, mixing, baking, and cooking. A good friend of ours had her second child on Tuesday and the thing that I appreciated the most 2 months ago when my second child was born (sheesh, two months has FLOWN by!) was when people took the time to make us food. Cooking for someone is really a gift, not only because it is nourishing to their tummies at a time when they have better things to do than cook, but also because you think of the people the whole time you are cooking for them, so you are putting good energy and love into the food. I want to teach these things to my girls and the best way is to be an example by doing them and to have them join me.


The Menu
In five hours we were able to make:
Our own pancake breakfast
Energy Bars (Gluten Free)
Chicken Salad with Broccoli, Red Peppers, and Parmesan Dressing
Hummus and Carrots (the recipe is here)
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

The Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is my own recipe that I developed from the advice of a friend and from some recipes I have read. It is delicious and I doubled it so we could have some, too.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
by Tiffany Teske

2 C rhubarb
2 C strawberries
2/3 C sugar
1/2 t lemon juice
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 t cinnamon

Topping
1 C unbleached flour
1/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C quick cook oatmeal
1/2 C unsalted butter, melted

Combine berries with sugar, lemon juice, and spices. Put mixture in a greased 8x12 inch baking dish. Mix dry topping ingredients together and drizzle melted butter over it, mixing well with a fork or your hand. Sprinkle topping over the berries. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, it is done when it is bubbly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.


Our new little friend, whom I am holding here, is named Fox Royal. She is adorable!


I am fascinated by the tiny ears and fingernails on newborns. When my first daughter was born I could not get over how round her little ears were. They were like perfect little coins. And I really wanted to make a photograph of my second daughter's pinkie fingernail on my pinkie fingernail, but now she has grown so much. So, I did it with Fox and her Mama.


Fox was born at 7 pounds, the same as my little one, but look at my little one, now! So much changes in two months. Here are the proud older siblings with our babes.


It was a privilege to be able to see our newest little friend at only three days old. I am glad we were invited into their home to celebrate a bit with them. And what would a celebration be on a hot summer day without a watermelon? :)

I love to cook when it is fun and relaxed, which is what it was on this day. A good memory for us, both in the making and in the delivering.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow strawberry..I'm on a mission to try out every possible recipe made out of strawberry.Thanks for helping me to fulfil my mission..haha

Shobin
Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step