Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Wanderlust


This is the first mixed media piece in my series called Wanderlust, which is a solo show I am having at Ottawa Gallery D'OMMA in August. I also got the artist statement written today...

Artist's Statement for Wanderlust:

Long before talk of fossil fuels and the environmental footprint of travel dominated the news, people have had the need to explore their surroundings and beyond. This wanderlust is practical for some, while for others it is about adventure, curiosity, and a need to have new experiences. The reason that people travel, both now and in the past, are many. I seek to explore these reasons in my newest body of mixed media work. Using recycled materials, including Polaroid transfers made for past exhibitions, I have created a series of collages on 12 1/4" by 12 1/4" thrifted record album jackets. As someone who suffers from a serious need to roam and to learn new things, the concept of wanderlust appeals to me. As someone who is currently grappling with the present state of our world and how best to explore it while keeping my enviromental impact to a minimum, I am presenting an alternative to actual travel for the viewer. My hope is that these works will provide you with a green way to wander, by using your imagination in collaboration with my visuals.

To learn more about my commitment to create art using only recycled and thrifted materials please go to my other blog.

REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE UPCYCLE REPURPOSE THRIFT CREATE

No comments: