Saturday, July 12, 2008

Homemade Drain Cleaner

When we moved into our new house, the bath tub drain was slower than slow. Having made the commitment to not use toxic chemicals in this home, because of enviromental, health, and safety concerns, I decided to try to make drain cleaner. It was both easy and entertaining. I boiled a large pot of water, then added 1/2 c baking soda and one cup white vinegar. Ummmm, this basically makes a small volcano, or more like a flash explosion... nothing to be concerned about, but I am happy I had placed the pot in the tub for this little experiment. Then, I poured it all down the drain, shut the drain, and left it for 10 minutes. The combination is supposed to break the clog. And I'll be damned, it did. The drain emptied much faster. I am really happy that this worked because drain cleaners are one of the most toxic home chemicals. Please let me know if you have a good recipe for drain cleaner, or any cleaner, that I can post here.

1 comment:

sheasy said...

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU for this post. I live in an art deco building which means beautiful moldings and horrible plumbing. I can't wait to try this and thanks for the volcano warning.