Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Calgary Leads the Country in HATE Crimes

I hate that! I mean, I guess I can't really say that I am surprised. Not to be stereotypical, but maybe there is something to stereotypes sometimes. In this case, rednecks and cowboys are so predictable. I am originally from the states, and Texas is comparable to Calgary in many things, including oil, cowboys, and racism. Of course I am not saying that everyone from Texas or Alberta is racist, that would make me pretty stupid. It would be like saying that because I am an American, I love George Bush, Walmart, war, racism, celebrities, consumerism, and going to church so that I can pass judgement on others. Whoops, did I just say that?

Here is part of the article...
CALGARY - Calgary has the highest rate of hate crimes in the country - three times the national average - according to a new report from Statistics Canada.

The study, which surveyed Canadian police services covering 87 per cent of the country's population, found 892 hate-motivated crimes in 2006 - less than one per cent of all incidents reported to police that year, at a rate of 3.1 incidents per 100,000 people.

In Calgary, the rate was 9.1 incidents per 100,000. Race or ethnicity was the most often-seen motivation in all cities, but particularly in Calgary where 73 per cent of all hate crimes were related to a person's skin colour or country of origin.


You can read more here:
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=8376375f-5fa1-4384-9bcf-686fcc394af2

No comments: