Saturday, October 8, 2011

Weekly Recipe - Babz's "Tweeked" Pumpkin Bread Re-Tweeked By Me

Babz & Emmanuelle having tea

Last Friday, Emmanuelle & I went to the home of my friend, Babz, for tea. Babz has mad skills with a hula hoop. Check her out (she is the one in white)! I always have a lot of fun hanging out with Babyz. We are both part of the Nine Arts group booth at the Canmore Mountain Market. We hadn't been there for more than a few minutes before she had made us tea, cut us some homemade pumpkin bread and lead us out onto her deck into the still gorgeous fall weather. What a lovely way to spend an afternoon. The bread was sooooooooo good, I had to have the recipe, and true to her more than generous nature, Babz handed it over. And when I say handed it over, I don't mean she orally told it to me while I wrote it down, this girl (like me) has actual RECIPE CARDS! And not just any recipe cards, but illustrated recipe cards from a delightful artist on Etsy, named Susie Ghahremani, also know as boygirlparty. You can see Babz's recipe below. I like most that she named it Babz's Tweeked Pumpkin Bread. I believe this was the third version from the original.
Seriously, is there anything cuter than a bunny with a frying pan...

...well maybe squirrels with chef hats, another with an apron, & another with an egg beater!

 Babz & Tiffany's Tweeked Pumpkin Bread

Just to be me, I went and tweeked the recipe even more. My recipe is as follows:

Babz & Tiffany's Tweeked Pumpkin Bread 
Makes 2 Loaves
~ 1 large can of pumpkin
~ 4 eggs
~ 1/2 cup of oil
~ 2 cups of natural raw sugar (Babz uses 3!!)
~ 1 1/2 cups of unbleached white flour
~ 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
~ 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
~ 2 tsp cinnamon
~ 1 tsp nutmeg
~ 1 tsp ground cloves
~ 1 tsp ginger

1. Grease pans. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Mix wet ingredients well in one bowl.
3. Mix dry ingredients well in another bowl.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients, mix until just combined. If you over mix you will have tough bread.
5. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes. I live in the mountains where nothing ever seems to bake in the time a recipe says. Check the bread by inserting a toothpick or piece of spaghetti into the middle of the loaf. If it comes out clean, It is done.

This is a quick and easy recipe that results in two wonderful loves of bread, which is enough for us to both eat and share. We took one of our loaves, along with a dish of butter, to share with other at a community potluck dinner. It was gobbled up pretty quickly, We also shared some bread with our friends, Dea & Millie, at our home, along with tea. And while we were eating it, a beautiful double rainbow stretched across the sky. What a wonderful couple of days we had, while giving and receiving this awesome bread.

Ahhhh, friends + pumpkin bread = rainbows (I am such a geek...)

Do you have a bread recipe you love and would be willing to share? If you make this recipe, and tweek it, please let me know how it was...

No comments: