Monday, October 24, 2011

Alberta Arts Day at My Daughter's School


 On September 30th, 2011, I was the "artist - in - residence" at my daughter's school. I was asked to help with a school-wide project that coincided with Alberta Arts Days, a three day long celebration of arts and culture in Alberta. Quin goes to a Francophone school, which is entirely in French. I am ok in French, but my husband was raised in French and English and is fully bilingual. I try my best, and I think that opportunities to help like this are great for both my learning more French and for the children to learn more art.


 Cecile busy at work...

Cecile Kessler, who runs the after school program, asked me to assist in facilitating this project with her. Last year she bought several 3 foot by 3 foot canvases with the hopes that the classes would each paint one to decorate the community centre in the basement of the school. She decided that Alberta Arts Days would be a good time to do this. The canvases will grace the walls of the centre, and will later be auctioned off with the money raised going back into arts education.


This painting uses the kids' hand and foot prints... 

The students and teachers were given the theme, ouverture sur le monde, which is kind of like "gateway to the world" or "open to the world". They had a couple of weeks to think about what they might like to do on their canvases and by the time I arrived they were all ready to jump in and get started with their projects. I was just there to lend a hand, to run and grab materials they needed, and to give any advice if asked. They all did a wonderful job working together and making their vision for their canvases a reality. It was inspiring to watch them at work, and I am truly happy I was a part of the day.


My daughter, Quin, surveying her class canvas...  

I don't show kids on my blog without their parents' permission. Because of this, I only have one image of my daughter and the rest of the images focus on the actual art work....



A student places an image from a magazine on the collage...


This class decided to make a paper mosaic on this peace symbol, using images from magazines


One of the finished collages... 


Another amazing collage...isn't inspiring?

Merci beaucoup for asking me to be a part of your art day! I hope to see you again soon...

No comments: