Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Do You Like Chocolate Cake?!! Organic Dark Chocolate Cake To Die For...



I can't see chocolate cake without thinking about the "Chocolate Cake for Breakfast" comedy routine by Bill Cosby. If you have never seen this, please check out the video above. Whenever I see chocolate cake, I exclaim "Chocolate Cake" just like the 4 year old he is talking about...


When I got the recipe for the chocolate cake above, I was super excited to try it, since I had not made a chocolate cake in awhile, since it is organic, and since it is pretty straight forward so I can make it without a lot of planning ahead. I always have the ingredients on hand. Plus, my three year old can help me. We made this for our friend Kim's birthday last week, and again today for my mother in law's birthday. When I asked her what her favorite kind of cake is she told me that "all cakes are my favorite, but if I had to pick one it would be chocolate". ME, TOO! We are so excited to have them visiting us from Ottawa... being able to make her this cake was, well, the icing on the cake.

PS She LOVED it!

Organic Dark Chocolate Cake

1/2 cup organic, fair trade cocoa (I used Cocoa Camino)
hot water and organic milk (see below)
1 cup unbleached organic flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp organic butter
1 cup organic sugar
1 free range egg yolk
1 tsp real vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 1 cup measuring cup, put the cocoa powder and add enough hot water for the powder to dissolve while mixing it with a fork. Then fill the rest of the cup up with milk.

2. Combine flour, salt, and baking soda, mixing well.

3. Cream butter and sugar together using an egg beater, adding egg yolk and continuing to beat for one minute. Stir in vanilla and cocoa milk, then combine with the dry ingredients. Mix for one minute. Turn batter into a buttered 8 x 8 pan.

4. Bake for about 35 minutes or until cake tests done. Place on a cooling rack in pan. Once the cake has cooled completely, turn it out onto a plate.

Just FYI, both times I baked this cake the middle sunk lower than the sides...

Chocolate Icing
1/4 cup organic butter
1/4 cup organic, fair trade cocoa (I used Cocoa Camino)
1/4 cup organic milk
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp espresso, ground
1 tsp real vanilla extract

Melt butter; add cocoa, milk, sugar, and espresso. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Add vanilla. Stir rapidly for about 2 to 3 minutes. Spread over cake.

These recipes were adapted from Planet Green.

2 comments:

muffintopdesigns said...

i sooooooo remember that bill cosby skit! awesome! (and now i want cake.)

xoxoxo

Tiffany Teske said...

Cy! I miss you so much!! How is your little muffin? Let's catch up...