Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Alberta Art Days - DIY with Linda Bodo at the Banff Public Library


I have a four month old baby. She is the most laid back little angel you ever could meet. Her big sis was much the opposite as a baby, although at the time, her being my first, I had no idea. However, I now know how different one baby can be from the next. I nursed both kids on demand. With Quin, I spent most of my time sitting down and nursing. I could not leave her with my husband even to grocery shop. I nursed her for 2 years and 3 months. Elle on the other hand put herself on about a 3 hour schedule from the get go. If she eats more often than that she spits it up. So, aside from growth spurs and occasional cluster feeding, I can leave Elle with Andre and Quin and from time to time I get to experience a bit of art and craft making outside of the house.


During the weekend of Alberta Art Days I took part in a FREE DIY workshop at the Banff Public Library (they offer all of their programming and library membership for FREE). The instructor, Linda Bodo, is from Edmonton. She has been compare to Martha Stewart but she had a reduce, reuse, recycle mentality. Her motto is "Repurpose, Recycle and Redefine your Leisure Time.” The projects she presented to us were mainly for the garden and entertaining (lots of good ideas for using wine corks!!). The project that we made during the class was a beautiful moss-lined hanging basket.


I wish I could find this project for you online. Linda has a great website that does offer many of her projects on it. Check it out for some inspiration. She gave each of us a copy of the spring 2009 issue of Enjoy Gardening, which has the hanging basket project on page 93. It may also be in her new book, Enjoy Life Outside, which features 15 of her outdoor projects.


I was so happy with my basket that I look forward to making some more in the spring to hang in our little back patio/garden. I will write a tutorial then, along with photos, but if you have any questions about it in the meantime feel free to leave a comment here or I would urge you to contact Bodo through her website. She is very approachable. I had a wonderful time at her workshop and hope to see her in Banff again. Or maybe on her estate, I hear it is gorgeous... I am sure it would be an awesome place for me, a photographer who loves flowers...

3 comments:

Patty said...

another great idea using wine corks
www.corktruck.com

Tiffany Teske said...

Thanks for the link, Patty! I love it :) I have always wanted to mosaic a car with broken dishes... Great inspiration here!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

This is beautiful!
You have such great blogs, it was difficult to choose the one that spoke most to me. I keep going back and forth -smile-.