Saturday, October 10, 2009
Banana Whoopie Pies, Oh Yeah!
I lived in Maine for close to ten years. Having grown up in the midwest I had been ignorant of the sweet deliciousness of a New England favorite called the Whoopie Pie. Since moving to Canada I have thought of these soft, cream filled, sandwich cakes, with fondness, and have sworn I will dig out the recipes I have from Maine. Chocolate with vanilla filling and chocolate with peanut butter filling were my favorites until...
...just recently, good ol' New Englander herself, Martha Stewart, kindly delivered this recipe to my inbox. How did she know that banana cake is my favorite?! I had to try it... and so should you!! Thanks again, Martha, for helping me to make each day a little bit brighter, and yummier...
Banana Whoopie Pies
By Martha Stewart
Makes about 3 dozen
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup mashed banana (from 1 large ripe banana)
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
* 1 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Combine banana and sour cream in another bowl.
2. Beat butter and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed, until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, beating until incorporated. Add banana mixture in 2 additions, alternating with flour mixture.
3. Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch plain tip. Pipe batter into 1 1/4-inch rounds on baking sheets, spacing rounds 1 1/2 inches apart.
4. Bake until edges are golden, about 12 minutes. Slide parchment, with cookies, onto wire racks. Let cool. (Unfilled cookies can be stored for up to 1 day.)
5. Beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
6. Pipe or spoon 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture onto the flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies. Dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve immediately.