Thursday, June 23, 2011

National Aboriginal Day at the Banff Centre- June 21st, 2011


Yesterday, I facilitated a mask making workshop at the Banff Centre, as part of an event they were hosting for National Aboriginal Day. Prior to story telling by award-winning writer Richard Van Camp of the Dogrib Nation in the Northwest Territories, people of all ages made masks. While adult mostly chose the masks with an aboriginal theme, the kids were most drawn to the butterfly and moth templates. I made sure everyone had what they needed and helped where I could but they just dove in and created with abandon. The time flew by and fun was had by all. My only regret was that I could not stay for the story telling as I had to teach at an evening event...


So many choices...


This one reminds me of a super hero...



Before...


After... My favourite adult mask.


These sequins and this glitter all belonged to ONE little girl...



This one was my favourite kid's mask.

What a lovely, colourful, afternoon...

No comments: