Monday, April 5, 2010

Buttermilk Cakes Recipe


I mentioned these cakes in this post about quiche. These cakes make a wonderful brunch dessert or even breakfast. You can cover them with fresh whipped cream but I like them drizzled with real maple syrup.

Buttermilk Pudding Cakes
By Martha Stewart (Here is the link to her recipe). I did 1.5 times her recipe so I could make 12 (since the muffin pan makes 12). This makes my recipe a bit wonky but I have typed it out below. I have to say these don't seem like pudding cakes to me. They were a bit dense but they were yummy. I didn't let my melted butter cool to room temp which probably changed the texture.

Ingredients

Serves 12

- 1 plus 1/8 cup sifted all-purpose flour (I used unbleached)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 plus 1/8 cup cup whole or low-fat buttermilk (I used whole)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 14 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- Nonstick cooking spray (I used butter)
- 3 cups fresh raspberries (I used strawberries & kiwi)
- Whipped cream, for serving (optional)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees with a rack positioned in the top third of the oven.
2. Sift together flour and baking powder in a large bowl. In another large bowl beat eggs until creamy and yellow. Whisk in buttermilk, vanilla, 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar, and butter (mixture will look curdled and broken). Slowly add flour and whisk until batter is smooth and combined.
3. Spray 8 standard-size (3-ounce) nonstick muffin pan cups with nonstick cooking spray. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin pan cups, filling about two-thirds full. Transfer to oven and bake until sides of cakes are evenly browned (check by inserting a knife tip between the rim of cake and muffin cup, pulling gently to expose side of cake), about 9 minutes. If cakes are not evenly browned, they will not hold together when inverted. Continue baking, checking every minute, until evenly browned.
4. Meanwhile, place raspberries in a medium bowl; add remaining 4 tablespoons sugar and gently toss to coat.
5. Invert cakes onto twelve individual plates. Place berries on top and alongside cakes; serve with whipped cream, if desired.

No comments: