Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pumpkin Cookies... Good Enough For Breakfast


My friend, Michelle, came over for dinner one Sunday evening with her kiddos. She arrived with fresh baked cookies. How she managed to make them with her two active kids (3 year old girl with energy to burn and 1 year old boy who has been walking since 9 months) I don't know. I know, I know, people ask me the same thing, but at least for now, my babe doesn't walk. Her son walks, runs, AND climbs! You can't take your eye off of him for a second. She never even sat down while eating my lasagna, she ate her whole plate while keeping him from near disaster. I am telling you all of this in the lead up to this cookie recipe so you know that you CAN find the time to make them. The day after Michelle's visit, while eating the last few cookies, Quin looked at me and said, "You should get this recipe from Michelle." Wise child...

These cookies are cakey and light. They have a nice combination of ingredients that you might normally not think about putting together. They are great for an energy pick-me-up. I have added them to my list of good nibblies to make for new nursing moms, who often can only grab quick, simple things to eat when their energy is waning...

Sweet Pumpkin Cookies
Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics
I use organic ingredients wherever possible

1 c. butter
1 c. natural cane sugar
1 c. pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 tsp pure vanilla
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. toasted peanuts
1 c. raisins (I use CURRENTS)
1 c. chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375.
Cream together the butter and sugar, and then add the pumpkin, egg and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt and then add to the mixing bowl. Stir well to form a soft batter. Stir in nuts, raisins and chocolate chips. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet, and bake for 10-15 min.

No comments: